Wednesday 1 August 2012

Sorry not to have updated this with the end result of the course.  I worked a few ideas up in the sketchbook.  I was trying to bring a few ideas together - not something I've really done before - and I thought I ought to try this.   I ended up doing this little picture which brought together my figure on the museum balcony with the Newhaven lighthouse.  There may be something here I could develop, but I haven't yet done so.
Lighthouse Woman Study.
The other image I worked on was the skiff.  I did a very big picture of this which started out looking like this.
Newhaven Skiff (big emerging picture)
This was really underpainting, so when I took it further, I did tone it down somewhat.
Newhaven Skiff (big picture)
But in taking it further I lost all the energy of the marks.  It looks a bit boring.  I wasn't all that happy with it
Not to be put off by this, I tried another version in the studio this week.  It ended up looking like this.
Newhaven Skiff (small version)
I think this looks more interesting.  I'm quite pleased with the edge of the pier (I did focus a bit of attention on this).  Maybe the boat needs a bit more colour before I set it aside.  But it does have a dreamyness about it.

Ah well...what next?  More sketching perhaps.  And there's a trip coming up a week on Friday at Crammond, so that means more boats...!

No comments:

Post a Comment