I decided to focus mainly on the seaweed sketch from last week and have a go at developing this. I felt it had abstract qualities that I wanted to develop. So I started with the sketch.
|Sketch from Slumbay looking north|
So I started in charcoal and some rubbings out, then added some golden oilbar for the seaweed etc. I then added a bit of acrylic colour. I was trying to limit the palette to blue at first with some black ink, focusing on getting the sea colour right - that lovely navy blue which is such a great contrast with the orange seaweed. I thought the blue had a hint of violet in it, but not too much.
|Emerging picture - Shore with seaweed, Slumbay|
In the end, I added a mixture of black and blue inks to try and achieve that dark sea colour. I also realised that there was really no getting away from adding some green. So I mixed the cobalt with lemon and ochre to try and get something naturalistic looking. Then I brightened up the seaweed with a mixture of Indian Yellow, Lemon Yellow and Yellow Ochre. The result is fairly dramatic.
|Shore with Seaweed, Slumbay|
Looking at it now, however, I think I could improve on the shoreline marks to give a better feel for the stonecrop (or whatever it is). And the foreground is not quite the right green. But the marks are quite loose, and I'm happy with that. A good start, perhaps. But I want to paint it again!