Tuesday 3 March 2015

Still Sketching

Although I've been trying out a few new things on the drawing front, I'm still sketching out-of-doors, despite the dreadful weather we've been having. I think my recent drawing exercises are making me a little bolder, looking for different shapes as I sketch. I thought I would share some recent sketches.

Last week there was a blink of sun and I decided to head out to East Lothian, on the lookout for some interesting landscapes to draw. I first found a stubble field so I thought I'd have a go at it in pencil and watercolour. I felt that it was a bit of a challenge trying to capture the essence of the rough stubble and the vehicle tracks. But I had a go. Used a bit of pastel as well as the pencil.
East Lothian Stubble Field Sketch

Then I drove up into the Lammermuirs and had a go at sketching the raggedy moorland up there. It was getting a bit gloomier by this time and it started to rain. I think I may have been on the 'Herring Road'. I tried hard to capture the patterns using conte and pencil. But there was a light ochre colour I couldn't capture. I think this sketch looks quite cold, doesn't it?
Lammermuir Sketch
 On my way back down from the Lammermuirs, I found a place to stop for a sketch looking north over East Lothian. The rain was just holding off and the views of the three Laws and the Bass Rock were clear.  Again this sketch was in pencil and conte (too cold for watercolour on the spot). I think this is quite an interesting view and I'm now trying to paint it.
East Lothian Sketch
These were my best sketches of the day and I did them on a large watercolour pad. I'm thinking of continuing to work on these rather than re-draw them. I'd like to see if I can make them into pics that I'm satisfied with. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment