Wednesday 30 March 2016

At Last....A Little Sketching.

Been so busy with the Lochcarron Gallery set up that I haven't sketched for ages - maybe a whole month - I have missed getting out and about sketching but there's just been no time!
This afternoon I escaped for a little sketching outing. Went to Shieldaig for a walk around the aird.
It started well with an atmospheric view of Shieldaig Island.

Sheildaig Island
 There was some bright sunlight in the sea which I haven't really captured here - I wanted to try and record the sea patterns. But already there were a couple of raindrops - you might notice the smudginess....

Wet sketch!
Anyway, I walked on and found the perfect spot for sketching a long view down Loch Torridon. A nice rock to sit on. I made a start...but then the heavens opened and my paper got soaked. Look at it! But it is a good composition, isn't it? I think it has a bit of promise for a big pic. Such a shame to be rained off.  Anyway, I think I can remember where that spot is, so I'll be back.

Contorted Birch



Carried on round the aird and saw a birch tree I couldn't resist....here it is.
It's so windblown and contorted. Might be a good subject for an etching. But I would need to work out what sort of background to include. I also liked the fact that the path is right beside this tree and should somehow be included in the pic.


Finally got to the farthest point and the sun came out. It's such a beautiful spot. I could see the hills of North Harris from here today (there was a chill in the air). And I could also see Beinn Alligin and Liathach, both with snow on their tops.  I identified what I thought was a good composition - a long portrait-sized pic. But the only dry paper I had was a little lightweight so I had to use pastel and pencil only. Spent a lot of time looking at the colours of the sea.


Well, it's a start. I'm hoping to get back to painting in the studio soon too!



No comments:

Post a Comment