Thursday 11 January 2024

Winter Grass

 One of the things I like about winter in the western highlands is the growth and colour of the wild grasses.

 There are many different types of grass.  There is the deer grass in the hills and on the moors, sending out its delicate spikes in December. There is the untidy grass on the shores that lies flat over pebbles, combed by the sea into swirls and waves.  And there is the thick grass that grows in woodland clearings and morrland - it turns into clumps of pale ochre curls and sends out delicate tall spikes.  Close by Lochcarron there is an area which was once a plantation woodland of sitka spruce trees.  This ground is now in community ownership and the trees were cleared a few years ago, leaving rough ground with a few residual native trees.  Significant replanting with little tiny trees - native species - has already been done in places. I think of it as a “recovering landscape” and I like to go and sketch there – I particularly love the wild winter grass with the backdrop of the hills around.

I've done several sketches of the grass and trees and I was determined to develop the sketches into a painting or two.  I started out on a scene looking towards distant hills, flanked by trees.  

This was a large square painting.  I quite liked the simplicity of this, but at a large scale I was not satisfied. I continued to develop ideas, adding different textures and got to this point.


I still wasn't happy, so I altered the composition slightly and added more spectral greys.

However, I felt that this was a bit dumbed down....not very exciting....it had lost its freshness and drama.  So I put it aside and reached for a fresh piece of paper, to start again.   This time I did a landscape composition rather than a square one.  I focused much more on the grass rather than any other element within the composition.  Looking at it now, I see a hint of Paul Nash's "Wood On The Downs" in the composition, but these, of course, are Birch trees, not Beeches.

It is now finished and framed - title "Wild Winter Grass, Kirkton Woodland" - and I've just heard that it'll be in the RSW open exhibition in January/February this year.  Delighted!

As I quite liked this composition, I've been back to sketch in the same place from time to time.  It looked different in summer colours, in strong light.   I thought I'd try a wee acrylic painting of a similar scene.  Thia one is also framed - "A Delicate Light" - and it was in the Gairloch Museum Winter Show.

I'm continuing to make paintings of grass (winter and summer) and some of these will be ready for an exhibition in Gairloch Museum in May and June this year - "Our Fragile Land".  Here's a work in progress....

It makes me think of the Three Graces....but I don't think that's a good title...is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment