I focused first on Greyfriars Corner. What I liked about this as a composition was the glimpse through the gate to the graveyard, and the gravestone sitting like a focal point. So after re-drawing it once, I started again in graphite, rubbing out and oilbar.
I was wanted to use ink to get a darker moodier look to the painting. So I worked in both diluted and undiluted black ink.
Then I added a little oil-crayon/oil bar for a little colour. I somewhat boldly decided that the double-yellow lines were important to the painting, and so it has ended up like this. So far so good.
But I realised when I checked it against the original sketch that the position of the trees and the proportions of the street were not quite right. And I had not really captured the drama of the light. Again by working in ink, I tackled these shortcomings. I think it's close to the look I'm trying to get, but this pic is a bit out of focus.
By this stage it was close to the textured look I was trying to achieve, but the card was disintegrating, so I realised I should do a new painting.
Not sure if I've finished it or not yet. Perhaps it's just a bit too dark now. And I need to go back to my sketching spot and check the proportions against the actuality.
Anyway, I'm setting aside my urban preoccupations for the moment; hoping to do a little landscape painting. If only the wind would drop and the rain would stop raining....