My aim was modest - to do SOMETHING from my sketches. However, I set myself a challenge....not just to reproduce one of my sketches, but to play around with motifs and details and try to come up with something a bit more interesting. I also set a time limit - 2 weeks.
I started by scribbling and working things out in my sketchbook. Thinking about composition, really, but also thinking about the essence of the city - what did I love about it?
Anyway...initially I did some small watercolours.
Then trying larger ideas in acrylic.
Thought I'd try to combine different motifs on one picture plane.
However, this one looked a bit too busy
So I cropped it....and refined it, but it probably needed more space.
I then decided to play around with a few details to enrich the picture-making. Not just brickwork and castellations! I referred back to photos I had taken of details and drew these out with a dip pen. Hard work!
But convinced myself that a double-arch motif didn't really work in this one.
And finally decided to simplify by losing the main arch and adding a bit of shadow.
This is where it is now.
Then I had another idea, based on arches and statues, from memory.
And it has taken me 3 weeks to get here, so I think I probably have to move on now....