Monday 20 June 2011

Back from the west

Back from Tighnabruaich after a relaxing weekend. We did two of our favourite walks - to the Caladh on Saturday and round Ardlamont Point on Sunday - and the rain stayed off. I took a pile of photos and managed to do a few sketches until the midges got the better of me.

Image copyright Aileen Grant


 This pencil sketch was done from the kitchen of Rowanbank, looking towards the narrows between the mainland and Bute. I did another pencil sketch on the beach down from Rowanbank, looking towards the sailing club, but I had to finish it off indoors because of the midges.

Image copyright Aileen Grant
I'm still continuing on the shoreline theme for the moment. I feel I have more to explore in terms of composition and medium. It's been good to refresh the idea with new sketches, and as always, trying to capture to look of water is a challenge. I'd like to try some more monochrome ideas as well as something else in oils. But beforeI can get onto that I have a sketching day ahead on Friday - our last day of the course - views from Calton Hill. And also, of course, the end of term exhibition takes place this week. In the end, I didn't change my pictures on Friday. I felt it was too late, and hence too risky, and my big picture did look a bit better than I remembered it. So I thought it best to leave it alone. We'll see.....

No comments:

Post a Comment