Monday 4 July 2011

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the studio.....

It was pretty warm today, but no slacking for me. I'm trying to keep up momentum from the Leith course. I managed to have a sort of productive day. First I was reviewing the adjustments I made last week. For instance, my big Leith picture - "The call of sea and shore" - is now looking like this.
The Call of Sea and Shore copyright Aileen Grant
I think adding the extra grass makes this picture work a bit better. The weak part was the shore itself, and now that this area is reduced and better contained, the greens and blues are more dominant and the whole picture works better. So I'm going to leave it alone now.

Today I thought I'd go back to some acrylics, using some sheets of Japanese paper (Ho Sho paper) underpainted in gouache. As I thought there was some potetial in the Bass Rock sketch I did at Seacliff, I thought I should have a go at this. The result is shown below, and it's interesting to compare it against the sketch from yesterday. I think it is a bit more interesting - there's more colour and texture. However, the far horizon looks a bit like the Bass Rock is casting a shadow, so I think I may adjust this.  I think is feels like a sunny picture - which of course it was. And it is true that the underpainting gives a good effect. However, I'm also going to try it in oils. I made a start today, but as I forgot the camera, I don't have an image yet.
Bass Rock from Seacliff copyright Aileen Grant
So it's back to work for the rest of the week, but I hope I'll be able to get another studio day on Friday. I don't expect it'll be quite as hot, but you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment