Monday 12 March 2012

More Corrugated Iron

Back in the studio again today, keeping the focus on my corrugated iron sheds.  I had sketched some boatsheds at Cockenzie last weekend - a very quick sketch done in a cold north wind.  The sheds caught my eye as they were quite dark and brooding, a bit run-down, and made of corrugated iron (of course).  I thought they might make a good subject for a picture.  I particularly liked the slipway rails in front of the sheds.
I started with charcoal and a bit of graphite, rubbing out a bit and adding a little oilbar, trying to capture the feel of graffiti on the sheds.

Emerging picture of Cockenzie Boat Sheds
I wanted to darken this down a bit, so added more graphite and some ink.  Also used a limited amount of oil pastel.  I was particularly keen to include the house and the pylon in the picture, although in reality these are not quite in this position.
Emerging picture of Cockenzie Boat Sheds

I put this to one side for a bit.  I thought it didn't look too bad, but wasn't wholeheartedly pleased with it.  Couldn't quite decide what exactly was not quite right.  So I decided to go back and look at a photo I had taken at the weekend and think about how I might improve the picture.  I realised that the proportions of the big shed were not quite right, and that the sheds were not quite as dark as this, so I took out white acrylic and applied this with a roller - going back a stage.  It looks kinda interesting.
Disappearing picture of Cockenzie Boat Sheds
After this, I drew back into the picture with graphite, oilbar, oil crayon and ink. I was trying to create interesting texture on the sheds, and to darken the beach, while at the same time, trying to keep the looseness created by rollering in the acrylic.  Decided to add more (subdued) colour to the sheds as they are the main subject of the picture.  I was quite pleased with the result, as follows.

Cockenzie Boat Sheds

What next?  Looking for more sheds, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment