Monday 16 July 2012

I wanted to do something different today, and so I set about glueing bits of paper to card, thinking about attempting a collograph.  But of course it took all day for the glue to dry.  So I got the acrylic paints out again.  Looking through one of my little sketch books I came across an image that made me think of a face.  So I did this little picture using charcoal, oilbar gouache and acrylic.
Yellow profile
This seemed like a good subject, perhaps because I sketch people in the bus - mostly in profile.  And it was sufficiently different for me to hold my interest - I haven't done this sort of a painting before.  I can't decide if this is a finished picture or not so  I've brought it home to reflect on it.
I then found another sketch
Gullane Beach detail
I did this little sketch down at Gullane beach a while ago.  It is a sketch of some windswept grass on top of a rock, but when I looked at it today, I saw something different. 
Rear View
Perception is a curious thing, isn't it?  I quite enjoyed doing these small pictures - a bit of fun.  Again, I'm not sure if this is a finished picture and indeed if it is leading anywhere.  I think I need to get a bit more focus.  Looking through the sketch book I found another image from a trip to Arran a while back.
Island Lighthouse (emerging)
I was guessing about the colour here, but I remembered that it had been a dreich day.  This picture looked a but washed out, but really it was too bright (I thought).  And the lighthouse was too clearly defined for the look I was trying to achieve.  So I added some graphite and dark paint.
Island Lightbouse (emerging)
This was more like the thing...or have I gone too far?  Well, I had run out of steam, so I'll continue it another day.
Next week I'm doing a course at Leith School of Art, based on sketchbooks, so maybe that's why I can't settle down this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment