Saturday 6 August 2011

Gathering Sketches

On safari up north for a few days, heading for Lochcarron. But now that we've arrived in Lochcarron I am reconnected and can blog.  It was only when we got to Glenelg yesterday that I got some opportunities to sketch. The day started badly (weather-wise) and so instead of climbing Beinn Sgreathall (or whatever the proper spelling of Ben Screel is...) we went to look at the brochs, in the rain, and then we found ourselves in Genelg Bay and surprisingly the sun came out. So out came the sketch book.
Glenelg Bay Sketch copyright Aileen Grant
A lovely spot, this and popular with campers. The Sgurr of Eigg was just visible - it's on the right hand side of the sketch. From here we went back towards the village and found the ruin of the Bernera barracks (interesting and somewhat neglected ruin) and I found a lovely rusty cottage to sketch. A more interesting and better sketch, I think.
Glenelg cottage sketch copyright Aileen Grant
This was on the walk back to the car from the Barracks, in glorious sunshine.  We were in a sort of  'creek' area - the river is on the left of the sketch and also along the bottom edge. I was doing quick charcoal sketches because I knew Peter would be restive if I took too long.

It was probably my best sketch of the day. I did a couple more - one of a boat sitting off-shore near the winged victory monument just to the south of the village.  This time I was more relaxed - P was off taking lots of photos, so I was able to get my pencils out and take a little more time.
Glenelg Boat Sketch copyright Aileen Grant
The light was so bright that the boat and the hills were virtually black. But while I was doing this, other boats caught my eye. I love that image of boats full of people zooming out of the light, something like this.


We did really like Glenelg and will go back there. There's still more to see and sketch...and Beinn Sgreathall still to conquer.
We left Glenelg this morning to take a quick Skye hop north to Lochcarron - went over the Kylerhea ferry then back over (that rather ugly) Skye bridge to Kyle of Lochalsh and then on to Lochcarron. A really nice route to get here with great views of the Cuillins.
It's always good for sketching here, so I had a go at this view, sketching again in pencil.
Lochcarron view from sailing club copyright Aileen Grant
It's a good spot, this, gives a nice view with water in the foreground which makes it interesting. It's not a great sketch, but it's a start, and I hope to get some more sketching time - even some painting time - this week.  Fingers crossed for the weather....but the rain has started already....

No comments:

Post a Comment